After over nine months of hard work the ByLaws committee is ready to present the Revised ByLaws to the membership for approval!
In April of 2022 the ByLaws committee was tasked by the Executive Board to create an updated document that reflects the current needs of CECC as well as comply with SC state law for non profit entities. This new document builds upon the foundation of our current Constitution and ByLaws that was created by the founding CECC members. By working with a 3rd party attorney the proposed Revised ByLaws combines the former Constitution and ByLaws into one cohesive document to guide future members carrying out their leadership roles.
We are now ready as a club to review the proposed Revised Bylaws before the formal voting process begins. Some major points are as follows:
- We will be a nonprofit corporation in accordance with SC law allowing for formal submission to the Secretary of State.
- We will have a new layer of leadership. We are required by law to have a board of 3 directors. Our attorney has advised that officers can serve simultaneously as directors. We propose that the President and VP serve as Directors for one year terms with a third elected to the position for a term of two years.
- We clarify who is eligible for membership and who is eligible to vote.
- We wanted to entrust those in leadership with more authority to act in the best interests of CECC without having to bring every issue up for a vote by membership. We spell out their authorities along with necessary limitations.
- We wanted to encourage in-person participation by members in the affairs of CECC. Therefore, we propose to do away with proxy, absentee and online voting.
- As much as possible, we strived to use plain English in the bylaws. However, we couldn’t avoid some boilerplate inserted by our attorney to comply with SC law. We hope you will notice which is which.
We will host two informal question and answer sessions to receive questions and comments from members. Those sessions will be followed by a reading of the ByLaws which is required by our current ByLaws. On March 23rd at our annual meeting we will have the formal vote on whether to approve this new document or not. The dates for these Q&A sessions and the reading are below.
A copy of the proposed Revised ByLaws was sent as a link with your email. If you did not receive the link please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A huge thank you to the members of the ByLaws committee who have worked tirelessly over the past nine months meeting at least bi-weekly if not sometimes weekly! As always if you have any questions please reach out to us at email@example.com
The CECC Board and ByLaws Committee
Revised ByLaws Q&A : Thursday, February 23rd, 6-8 pm, Saturday, February 25th, 10-12 pm
Revised ByLaws Reading: Monday, March 13th at 6:30 pm
CECC Annual Meeting: Thursday, March 23rd at 6:30 pm